Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default KO Lee Tool & Cutter Grinder question - resolution

On 2010-07-28, GeoLane at PTD dot NET GeoLane wrote:
On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 22:01:12 -0400, "Phil Kangas"
wrote:

[ ... ]

In fact, you could have heated the flange this way to
remove it without using a puller. Pulling it off cold
affects the press fit.

[ ... ]

Funny you should mention that. John at KO Lee suggested the same
thing. I didn't think much about it at the time since I didn't
realize that heating the flange would expand it more than it would the
shaft. Live and learn. Would I have been able to just pull it off
with gloved hands or would I still have needed a gear puller?

I would have put a gear puller on adjusted to maintain a bit of
stress on the flange, so I could tell quickly when it reached the right
temperature.

Remember -- you are heating the flange so it expands first, but
the heat conducts into the shaft so it will eventually be just as tight
as it was when cool. Having the gear puller on there would help you to
recognize the right time to pull it.

How about a hot plate to heat the flange for reinstallation? I don't
have any aluminum blocks. I could lay the flange directly on the
burner coils and it has a thermostat so I could monitor the temp.

Do you know exactly what the thermostat monitors? It might be
useless in this job.

Do you have a toaster oven? That might work well for getting it
evenly to the proper temperature. Put it in there, set the thermostat
for the desired temperature, and let it settle for some time based on
the thickness of the part. At a guess -- ten to fifteen minutes in the
oven after the thermostat starts cycling would do for a part that size.

If
needed I do have some flat sheet metal I could lay the flange on. I
do have a Harbor Freight infrared thermometer that I could use to
monitor the temp.

You need to know the emissivity calibration factor for the IR
thermometer. And that varies with the material and the surface finish
of what you are monitoring.

I have one noisy bearing in the head and I'm debating replacing that
before I put the flange back on.

Don't debate it -- *do* it. (Actually -- replace both just to
be sure.) The fewer times that flange comes off and on the better the
grip.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564