Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair
Dave Platt Dave Platt is offline

Default Isopropyl Alcohol for Cleaning Flux

In article ,
tm wrote:

Right. Methanol is a very poor denaturant. The idea is to make it
undrinkable, not lethal. Someone ralfing their guts out for an hour is
cheaper than blindness or death. Now, Sterno...

The treatment for Methanol poisoning is Ethanol and lots of it. Usually by
IV.

The same treatment is also used at times in cases of poisoning due to
ethylene glycol (antifreeze). If I recall correctly, the idea is to
saturate the liver's conversion-enzyme system with ethanol, thus
blocking the breakdown of methanol or glycol into toxic byproducts.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO