Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair
Dave Platt Dave Platt is offline

Default Isopropyl Alcohol for Cleaning Flux

In article ,
zzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Perhaps it is different where you live, but here in the US, denatured
alcohol is not methanol; it is, instead, ethanol with a denaturant added.
The denaturant can be methanol, or it can be any number of other chemicals,
so long as it is sufficiently adulterated to prevent a person from using it
for ingestion.

Right. Methanol is a very poor denaturant. The idea is to make it
undrinkable, not lethal. Someone ralfing their guts out for an hour is
cheaper than blindness or death.

Yup. Recipies for denaturing ethanol seem to vary a lot by country
and by intended application of the denatured alcohol.

http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/w...7cfr21_03.html lists a
bunch of different formulas that are specifically defined and
authorized in the U.S. for certain applications. Some of them seem
downright scary:

Formula 2-C: To every 100 gallons of alcohol add thirty-three pounds
or more of metallic sodium and either 1/2 gallon of
benzene, 1/2 gallon of toluene, or 1/2 gallon of
rubber hydrocarbon solvent.

5 gallons of methanol per 100 gallons of ethanol is Formula 3-A.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO