Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default Solar Power

Apparently the U.S.A. doesn't have any expertise/experience to offer
concerning extinguishing underground coal fires (or landfill fires, either),
try those terms in a search engine.

Centralia PA, burning since 1962, not only CO2, but a variety of toxic
gasses. A concerned citizen apparently offered to put the fire out for less
than $200, but the local officials couldn't approve the offer.

http://www.offroaders.com/album/centralia/centralia.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centralia,_Pennsylvania

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkHfnp2czZQ

So what it comes down to, is that fires somewhere else are evil, or worse
than..

--
WB

wrote in message
Well I think CO2 from coal mine fires counts. But I have not seen
anyone saying that we should do the sensible things to reduce the
amount of CO2 in the atmosphere. It seems to be all about how can we
spend a bunch of money for not too much effect.

Coal mine fires can be extinguished. You have to cut off the oxygen
and cool the site so it does not reignite in the future. It isn't
easy, but a lot easier than getting 100% reduction in the amount of
CO2 going into the atmosphere from autos and light trucks.

Dan