Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bending metal

Spamlet wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
news:6XF3o.96228$xf1.13461@hurricane...
If I bend a piece of 1" x 1/8" ms flat into an 'L' shape, how do I make it
stay that shape & not bend back when a load is applied?

Would I heat it to 'red', bend it, then quench it in water/oil? Or bend
it cold, heat it, quench it?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

You can't, unless you put a brace across to make a triangle or bend it into
a triangle in the first place as seen in numerous hanging basket supports.
That is the point of mild steel: nice and malleable. Mind you, you are not
saying how big this L is wanted to be. You could just cut off an inch of
angle iron (drilling any screw holes before you cut.)

On the other hand, as it is only 1/8 thick, you may be able to get enough
carbon into it to put some spring on the outside by heating it to red hot
and dunking it in sugar or similar high carbon source as per the case
hardening thread a week or two ago.

oil is the prefered way to get the carbon.