Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default Moving a cast iron bath

On 19 July, 11:46, geraldthehamster wrote:
OK chaps...

I hve a cast iron bath to move from an outhouse, to a first floor
bathroom. Having carried it once from trailer to outhouse, with a
neighbour's help, I'm aware of how unbelieveably heavy it is.

It needs to go up a flight of stairs with 3 winders at the bottom. The
stairs are newly fitted, and have newel bottoms but no balustrade.
They are stained and varnished and need not to be dinged or chipped.

There is nothing available upstairs to attach a block and tackle
to ;-)

Other than brute force, can anyone suggest techniques for getting it
up there without damage to stairs, bath or workforce?

Cheers
Richard

I can tell you the exact method traditionally used. You need two
people, one needs to be fairly strong. You set the bath up vertically
on the tap hole edge. The strong one stands in front of it with his
back to it. The bath is lowered onto him so he is inside inside like
a tortoise. He climbs the stair, on his hands and knees underneath
the bath in his "shell".
The other guides and steers the bath round the various obstructions by
holding it near the tap holes.
This method works, I have tried it.( In the steering capacity.) It's
actually harder to get the bath down the stairs without damage.