Posted to uk.d-i-y,misc.consumers.frugal-living,uk.rec.gardening,uk.people.silversurfers,rec.food.cooking
Spamlet Spamlet is offline

Default clean with magazine sheets but not newspaper?

"john hamilton" wrote in message
After reading our newspapers we end up with an oily dirt on our hands, but
not after reading the magazine supplements that come inside the newspapers
or the television guide magazines.

I wondering what the significance is with regard to using sheets from the
magazines with regard to wrapping food. I know you are not suppose to use
newspaper. But is it alright to use the magazine sheets for wrapping food?
Also are they both alright to use in garden composting? This question is
also relevant when using dampened magazine sheets to clean down food
surfaces and clean windows etc.

Would anyone know how to explain simply how the method of printing is done
differently between the magazines and the newspapers? Thanks for any
advice.

I think you only need to use your nose: though with widespread colour the
line between magazine and newspaper is increasingly blurred. Most magazines
smell horrible, and many give me a headache, therefore the ink isn't dry,
and you don't want it in your food. (Some may be done on photocopiers, but
even cured plastic toner can transfer on to say over head projector slides
if you leave them stacked together too long.) I'm a bit out of date but
one of the more headachy solvents I used to hate and smell in magazines was
cyclohexanone. There are large numbers of inks and formulations as there is
still a touch of alchemy involved. Many magazines still have ink that
doesn't dry completely and you can quite often get a reversed image if you
insert a piece of plastic and weigh it down for a while. You probably don't
smudge it because most of the time your fingers are on the border of a
magazine whereas you tend to touch the ink when you are folding the
newspaper to read it.

Shiny magazine paper is a pain to anyone who likes to make notes in margins
etc. as biro smudges all over the place and pencil either won't write on it
or rips it to pieces.

Years ago they did feature non dirty newspaper ink in Tomorrow's World.
Like everything else in that prog, it never caught on.