Posted to uk.d-i-y,misc.consumers.frugal-living,uk.rec.gardening,uk.people.silversurfers,rec.food.cooking
george [dicegeorge] george [dicegeorge] is offline

Default clean with magazine sheets but not newspaper?

On 27/07/10 13:19, Owain wrote:
On 27 July, 13:11, "john hamilton" wrote:
After reading our newspapers we end up with an oily dirt on our hands, but
not after reading the magazine supplements that come inside the newspapers
or the television guide magazines.
I wondering what the significance is with regard to using sheets from the
magazines with regard to wrapping food. I know you are not suppose to use
newspaper. But is it alright to use the magazine sheets for wrapping food?

If this is in commercial premises:

No. You're not allowed to use anything that isn't 'food grade' for
wrapping food. And recycled material is specifically excluded.

Also are they both alright to use in garden composting? This question is
also relevant when using dampened magazine sheets to clean down food
surfaces and clean windows etc.

It's not acceptable to use newspapers or magazines for cleaning food
surfaces.

Would anyone know how to explain simply how the method of printing is done
differently between the magazines and the newspapers? Thanks for any
advice.

More likely different inks.

Owain

I guess that the coloured inks in magazines are nastier than newspaper ink.

[g]