Posted to uk.d-i-y
John John is offline

Default A very senior moment...

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
The HD in my Toppy died, so I decided to replace all the PSU caps at
the same time - they weren't too bad but the 3.3v rail was a bit low.
That went fine.

Bought a new 500GB PATA HD off Ebay, and it didn't like the Toppy. Had
been warned this could happen.

The workshop desktop PC - that doesn't get much use - was assembled
by me and has two IDE HDs of about the same age as the Toppy, and
neither of them even remotely full, so I decided to try one in it.
Copied everything on F onto C, and removed F.

Bet you're ahead of me. I'd actually removed C, plonked it in the
Toppy and formatted it...

I worked as a cable jointer on BT for many years. If people don't know,
telephone cables are sized by the amount of pairs of wires they contain -
smallest these days I think is a 5pr, going all the way up to 4,800pr. IIRC,
a 120m length of 200pr cable had gone faulty so another guy and myself were
doing a 200pr changeover and I was at the controlling end.

After putting the last pair through I got my hacksaw and cut the old cable
out to give myself more room to close the new joint - and discovered, when I
was about 90% through the cable, that I was cutting through the new one.