Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Why does anyone still use gas mowers/trimmers?

On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 01:10:05 GMT, Mat wrote:

I hate gas mowers/trimmers:

1. They are noisy, the trimmers can drive one crazy trying to sleep in
on a saturday morning
2. They pollute
3. They are +20x more expensive to operate than electric
4. They never start reliably
5. Always out of gas

The extra few minutes dealing with an ext cord are no big deal

It would be a good laugh to see you mow my place with a corded mower
- and I've tried with cordless and the battery replacement costs were
almost criminal - and I could never mow the whole lawn on one charge.
(and my 30+ year old gas mower will do 3 or 4 cuttings on a tank of
gas.) With it's 24" blade, it's an hour's job, and with the 20 inch
wheels it's eazy to push, even if I choose not to use the self
propelled function. With the motor between the rear wheels, and the
blade belt driven forward, I can trim under the fences and right up tp
posts/trees so I don't have need for a string-trimmer.

My 30+ yeart old Briggs engine generally starts on the second good
pull if not the first. The electrics all end up with switch issues,
and the cordless ones always end up with one or more bad batteries.

I built and drove an electric car - ride an electric assist bike, but
have NO USE for an electric lawn mower.