Doug Kanter

Default Butcher Block Top

Honestly, I think all the "safe handling" publicity is overkill, and it's
not aimed at sensible people who got a B grade or higher in biology. It's
aimed at the dummies who work with raw chicken right next to a drainer full
of clean dishes, splattering the drinking glasses with chicken juice and
leaving a pink puddle on the counter which they do nothing with afterward.
Or, maybe they wipe it up with the dishcloth and leave the cloth in a lump
on the counter, where a 4 yr old kid finds it and wipes her nose with it.
Those people are out there by the millions, and they're allowed to
reproduce, drive cars and vote.

From what I've read, if you put dish soap on a sponge, wipe down the counter
and see bubbles, you've used enough detergent to change the pH sufficiently
to kill germs. And, I think it was Consumer Reports that advised that Ivory
bar soap was harsh enough that unless you're working in the health care
field, you didn't need to waste your money buying germicidal hand soap.

What about a stainless steel butcher block covered, with a bank of UV lights
mounted above it? Let's get anal retentive! :-)