Posted to uk.d-i-y
NT[_2_] NT[_2_] is offline

Default cabling for ceiling downlighters

On Jul 26, 11:59*pm, Adam Aglionby wrote:
On 26 July, 23:54, NT wrote:

On Jul 26, 10:59*pm, Adam Aglionby wrote:

On 26 July, 21:17, NT wrote:

On Jul 26, 10:57*am, jim wrote:

Still struggling with deciding how to update the ceiling lighting..

If I go for low volt downlighters, is it normal for each downlight
unit to have its own separate transformer?

If so I presume normal 1.0 or 1.5 mm2 cable can be daisy chained to
each outlet? *& that then gives the flexibility to allow switching
between LV & HV units later?

Or am I misunderstanding something?

Any experiences of fitting & cabling downlighters would be much
appreciated.

TIA

4x the number of transformers means 4x the failure rate

NT

Not a satistician , but sure there someat wrong with that.

Its simple statistics. Same failure rate for each one, 4 times the
failures per given time, equals 4x the failure rate.

NT

Thanks for the explanation, see where your getting at, but MBTF I
think would be to 50% fail which would leave half working with 4.

At least a single failure won`t leave you in the dark with multiple
trafos ;-)

Cheers
Adam

I reckon 2 or sometimes 3 transformers is about ideal

FWIW, the comparison I'm making is one failure per MTBF compared to 4
failures per MTBF.

NT