Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Sources for "real" music wire

"Ned Simmons" wrote in message
On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 17:01:03 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

I assume that Tim has a good feel for what's "hard" in 1/8" music wire.
That's the largest legitimate diameter of real music wire, and it's the
softest. Still, it's not soft. I think the ultimate tensile is around
110,000 psi or something like that; the Rc hardness would still be pretty
good, compared to any ordinary plain-carbon steel.

That sounds way low. Cold drawn 1045 rounds are nearly that strong.

261 to 288 ksi here...
http://www.precisionbrand.com/Produc....aspx?Catid=48

--
Ned Simmons

Yeah, if you caught my correction, the minimum is around 220,000 psi.

--
Ed Huntress