Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Sources for "real" music wire

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

Tim Wescott wrote:

Argh. Just bent up a landing gear for a model plane. 1/8" "Music wire"
from K&S. Nominally the same thing, except one was the tail-end of an
older piece, and one was brand spanking new.

The new piece is _soft_ -- more welding rod that nice hard music wire.
I had noticed this before with some 1/16" stock, but it didn't penetrate
my poor thick skull. K&S is obviously going down the "consumers are
stupid" route.

Any ideas on where I might best get good old fashioned three-foot
straight pieces of music wire? I see that McMaster has it -- in one
foot lengths, and Small Parts has it -- mostly in six foot lengths. I
can deal with the odd length issue, but I'd sure like to order with
confidence that I'm getting something decent, not just the same metallic
noodles that I can get from the local hobby shop.

McMaster typically specifies the exact characteristics, metal alloy,
etc. for it's items. Suggest giving them a call to see if they can
supply it in 3' or 6' lengths.

I assume that Tim has a good feel for what's "hard" in 1/8" music wire.
That's the largest legitimate diameter of real music wire, and it's the
softest. Still, it's not soft. I think the ultimate tensile is around
110,000 psi or something like that; the Rc hardness would still be pretty
good, compared to any ordinary plain-carbon steel.

--
Ed Huntress

My guess was low on that tensile strength. 1/8" should be over 200,000 psi.

--
Ed Huntress