Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
Jim Thompson[_3_] Jim Thompson[_3_] is offline

Default Two Cap Puzzle

On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 00:33:58 -0500, flipper wrote:

On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 21:31:45 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 23:09:57 -0500, flipper wrote:

On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 17:31:57 +0100, "Ian"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
I'm trying to write it up, both I keep getting interrupted by work
that pays $:-)

...Jim Thompson

I'd be interested to see your write up, Jim. This conundrum was asked of me
in a pre-uni interview more than 40 years ago, I forget my real answer, I
think I doubted the assumption of zero resistance. There were some wacky
claims by (I think it was) Ivor Catt in a discussion on this in Wireless
World where he claimed it proved the existence of some wonderful new thingy
("displacement current"?). Much sound and fury, but little edification
ensued as I recall. I should see if I still have the letters.

My understanding is that Ivor Catt doesn't believe in displacement
current or much else of conventional electromagnetism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivor_Catt

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Displacement_current

It did cause me to be wary of "stated conditions" aka basic assumptions in
engineering problems in later life ;-)

A wise caution.

Regards
Ian

"Ivor Catt" sounds like I should know him... '50's, early '60's ???

Well, the wikipedia article says he was born in 1935 so that would
make him around 75.

...Jim Thompson

I was talking of the year-range where I think I met him... possibly at
Motorola. With a name like that, one rarely forgets :-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Spice is like a sports car...
Only as good as the person behind the wheel.