Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair

Default Isopropyl Alcohol for Cleaning Flux

On 7/26/2010 10:30 AM Meat Plow spake thus:

On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 17:57:25 +0100, Arfa Daily wrote:

"Joe" wrote in message

In one of the posts about solder, somebody mentioned CVS Drug Store for
91% isopropyl alcohol.

I just called a CVS, it's $2.79 for 16 ounces and $2.99 for 32 ounces.
That's 20 cents more for double the 16 ounce size. (This is in southern
California).

91% IPA is not usually considered to be 'electronics grade', which
should be 99.7% minimum. It's also not the most appropriate stuff for
cleaning a lot of flux, which requires a proper defluxing agent such as
Electrolube Deflux 160

91 leaves a bit of residue in certain cases. After reading the
ingredients on a can of Flux-Off spray flux stripper I thought why not
just use 91 isoprop. It usually does work in conjunction with a
toothbrush. But like I said can leave a residue.

Why mess around with isopropyl alcohol at all, since all of it contains
*some* water? Use denatured alcohol (methanol) instead, in a
tightly-capped container to guard against absorbing moisture.