Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair
Meat Plow[_5_] Meat Plow[_5_] is offline

Default Isopropyl Alcohol for Cleaning Flux

On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 17:57:25 +0100, Arfa Daily wrote:

"Joe" wrote in message

In one of the posts about solder, somebody mentioned CVS Drug Store for
91% isopropyl alcohol.

I just called a CVS, it's $2.79 for 16 ounces and $2.99 for 32 ounces.
That's 20 cents more for double the 16 ounce size. (This is in southern
California).

A mildly related question: In thinking about other uses for rosin, it
occurred to me that I haven't seen any pitchers using a rosin bag for
years.

Maybe it went the way of the vanishing caboose.

--- Joe

91% IPA is not usually considered to be 'electronics grade', which
should be 99.7% minimum. It's also not the most appropriate stuff for
cleaning a lot of flux, which requires a proper defluxing agent such as
Electrolube Deflux 160

Arfa

91 leaves a bit of residue in certain cases. After reading the
ingredients on a can of Flux-Off spray flux stripper I thought why not
just use 91 isoprop. It usually does work in conjunction with a
toothbrush. But like I said can leave a residue.