Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Made some chips today.

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

Ignoramus2966 wrote:

On 2010-07-26, Mike Henry wrote:

"Ignoramus1880" wrote in message
On 2010-07-26, RogerN wrote:

"Ignoramus1880" wrote in message
On 2010-07-25, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus8473 wrote:

Abused some machinable wax, drilled bolt holes, milled rectangular
pockets, faced stuff, etc. Had a friend over and he liked it. I
may
make a sprocket for him.

Be sure to measure the results of your cuts and compare to the
expected
values, to ensure you did cutter comp. properly and that the
machine
calibrations are correct, before you try to actually make
something.

Yes Pete. I wanted to wire the buttons that increase and decrease
spindle speed. After that I will try. I am not sure how well I can
measure dimensions of something made of machinable wax.

I will take some pictures of my old BP to send to you.

Now you can get one of those probes to put in your spindle and
digitize
with
it! That always sounded interesting to me, my mill still has the
Anilam
control, if I start using it again I plan to upgrade to EMC2, I
already
changed the amps out from Glentek to AMC, the old Glenteks squealed,
their
PWM frequency was in audible range.

Roger, do you have any examples of those probes, what do they do
exactly?

Sounds interesting.

Here's an example of an inexpensive one:

http://www.wildhorse-innovations.com...d&productId=80

The really good ones by Renishaw run around $2k or more - keep your
eyes
open for one while browsing auctions.

Mike, this is very exciting. Why is not not quite as good as those
Renishaw probes? Can I use that one for light home hobby purposes?

I'm not sure how useful this type of probing really is for typical HSM
uses. The point cloud you get from the probing will still require
substantial manual CAD work to translate into eventual G-code to
actually cut a part. If the item is 2D, you can probably just put it on
a flatbed scanner, scan an image, pull it in as the background in your
CAD software and trace it far faster than trying to point probe it. For
simple 3D parts the probe won't do much for you that a surface plate and
height gauge wouldn't do. Perhaps if you were working on reverse
engineering injection molding molds the probe would be helpful.

They're popular in China. g

--
Ed Huntress