Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tinkerer Tinkerer is offline

Default A very senior moment...

"Jim" wrote in message
On 26/07/10 15:03, Andrew Mawson wrote:
"Dave Plowman wrote in message
The HD in my Toppy died, so I decided to replace all the PSU caps at

the

OK I'll bite - what the heck is a Toppy when it's at home and do they
need a big cage and lots of exercise?

Topfield. It performs the same sort of function as a VCR, except it uses a
computer hard disk (HD) to store the video rather than a magnetic tape.

They are very useful devices which completely change your attitude to
watching TV - rather than sitting down to see what is on, you see if
anything worthwhile has been recorded. And you can skip adverts or pause
to make a cuppa if you want. They have the TV listings built into them so
you can do clever things such as recording all of a particular series.

There are other similar devices which you may have heard of under names
like Sky+, Freeview+, V+, Humax, Tivo, Windows Media Center or MythTV.

And there's me happily thinking he meant one of those kid's devices where
you pump up and down like crazy and it revolves at speed making humming
noises. ;o)
--
Tinkerer