Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rick Hughes[_3_] Rick Hughes[_3_] is offline

Default Sharpening a hedge trimmer: recommendations?

"Another John" wrote in message
Yes, yes, yes: I know that Google Is My Friend, but my real friend is
the DIY Wiki, which [hopefully] distils the best of advice. And this
one doesn't appear there yet, as far as I can see...

I have two Bosch hedge trimmers, a couple of years old now, and they are
getting worn, gunged, and less sharp. (One is mains, one is
rechargeable BTW.)

I'd like to separate the blades, rub them down a bit, and remove the
gunge that has [probably] accrued over the years in the blade
assemblies. However, I'm very leery of doing this unless I can be sure
to put them back together exactly right. Otherwise, they'll end up
worse than they started out.

Is there a recommended procedure for sharpening and renovating a hedge
trimmer?

Cheers

I split my B&D blades into the fixed & movable parts .... and simply filed
the blades with a diamond sharpening file.