Posted to alt.home.repair
Evan[_3_] Evan[_3_] is offline

Default Advice for converting Sears Craftsman 220V compressor plug towashing machine plug

On Jul 25, 1:12*pm, wrote:
On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 00:36:55 -0700 (PDT), Evan

wrote:
On Jul 25, 2:06*am, Elmo dcdraftwo...@Use-Author-Supplied-
Address.invalid wrote:
I just want advice for the conversion I just did before I plug it all in.

Details:
1. I have a two-phase 220V Sears Craftsman compressor which uses a 220 volt
plug with one blade sideways (otherwise it looks like a normal 120V
grounded plug).

2. I have no sockets in the house which fit that 220 volt plug.

3. I have a three-pronged dryer socket in the garage with 220 volts (two
hots and a neutral).

4. I just attached a new 3-pronged male dryer cord to a female 220 volt
plug with the one blade sideways.

Before I plug in the compressor to the recepticle to the dryer cord to the
recepticle, would you have any concerns about safety or other?

I assumed the neutral in the compressor plug was the center wire (looks
like a ground pin) while I assumed the neutral on the 3-pronged dryer cord
is the L-shaped center pin. Is that the correct assumption for the shared
neutral?

Ummm yeah... *Why would you want to plug a 20 amp 240 volt appliance
which uses a NEMA 6-20 cord configuration into a 30 amp outlet made
for
a NEMA 10-30 cord configuration by means of using a cord adapter which
you have created yourself...

There is a reason why the outlets for vastly different amperage
ratings do
not fit into each other... *SAFETY...

Why not have a correct 20 amp 240 volt NEMA 6-20 outlet installed in
your
home so you can use your compressor safely on a circuit which is not
capable of supplying more power than your appliance is rated for which
could damage it or cause an accident of some kind...

~~ Evan

Evan - sorry but your ignorance is showing. Virtually every item you
plug into a 15 or 20 amp 115 volt receptacle in your home is rated
MUCH below the 15 or 20 amps the receptacle is rated at, and the
breaker is designed for. It is NOT a safety issue. Your computer draws
something like 2 amps, the monitor 1/2 amp, a 100 watt light bult less
than an amp, your fancy little transistor table radio about 250
milliamps.

The "right" way to do it would be a "fused adapter" with a 30 amp plug
that fits the dryier receptacle, and a 20 amp receptacle to fit the
compressor plug, with a 20 amp fuse or breaker between the two. This
would protect the wiring to the compressor motor - which, in all
likelihood, already has a thermal shutdown protection device built
into it - making the fused adapter redundant anyways.

Umm... No... It is not ignorance... The CONVENIENCE outlets
in your home are designed for that purpose...

When you are talking about dedicated circuits for non-convenience
loads your logic about that is faulty...

If it isn't designed to fit into that outlet it shouldn't be used with
it...

~~ Evan