Posted to alt.home.repair
Elmo[_6_] Elmo[_6_] is offline

Default Advice for converting Sears Craftsman 220V compressor plug to washing machine plug

On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 15:45:35 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I wouldn't want to plug a two phase compressor into a single phase
socket.

I read everything stated in all the helpful posts, and I only have two
things that I'm not sure of at this point, neither of which were questions
initially.

1. The 30-year old Craftsman compressor (model 919.176940, nameplate says
240 volts, 15 amps) certainly uses two hot wires ... but since it's using
the third (green on the compressor, white on the adapter) wire as a ground,
I guess it's really not TWO phase but really one phase.

Is it in actuality just a one phase two hundred volt motor?

2. Since the garage dryer receptacle is just on the other side of the main
panel, I assume it's connected to the main panel; but I need to check. What
I'll do, before plugging in the compressor, is stick a DMM into it and then
hit the breakers.

Is there any other way to tell that you're NOT on a sub panel?