Posted to rec.woodworking
DanG DanG is offline

Default shelf holders for a mantle

If you have enough material, run the braces diagonally.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DanG

wrote in message
Hi All,
I recently had a friend give me 2 large pieces of oak; one of
them is
64" x 24' x 3", and the other is 64'" x 28" x 3". The request is
for a
mantlepiece. The wood has some cracks in it, and it was a pain
find a piece suitable. The mantle will be 8" wide. Even cutting
wood
that big is a challenge, but I got it done. Originally, I was
going to
use a French cleat to mount the mantle to the wall, but I'm
concerned
about it hanging together. Therefore, I plan to use shelf
brackets
made from the same wood - I'll cut it down to 2".

The question is this: What is the best direction for the grain
to run
in the bracket? Up and down, or horizontally?

thanks in advance
shelly