terry boivin

Default Router vs. Table Saw as first major tool purchase

On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 05:00:57 GMT, "David Binkowski"
wrote:
Holy Moly!!! That story would scare any newbie out of a router
purchase I think. BTW, I like your Linux line...very clever.

I use my router every day because I don't have a table saw. In fact I use
it the same way most people use a table saw. I have it set up right now
with a 2.5" long Amana straight bit, for ripping. Sure the kerf is 3/4"
wide,
wasting a bit more material than a table saw, but it does the job. Normally
I do use a clamped 2x4 as a fence to keep the rip going straight. Otherwise
it just wouldn't be safe, I realize that after trying to make free hand
rips.

One bad thing is the router bit gums up occasionally. I know its time to
clean it when the bit spins up and sap spatters on my helmet - visor.
I wear a helmet now because I've had some bad kickbacks on the
router ripper (what I affectionately call my "router saw"). One time I
was ripping a huge sheet of heavy plywood on the wrong side of the
bit, and it pulled it (and me) through, and I came to rest with my forearms
on either side of the spinning bit. Luckily I landed the way I did or I'd be
looking at getting some new bone and muscle grafts, I hear the router
don't leave much when you get intimate with it.