Posted to uk.d-i-y
No Name

Default A very senior moment...

On 25 Jul,
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

The HD in my Toppy died, so I decided to replace all the PSU caps at the
same time - they weren't too bad but the 3.3v rail was a bit low. That
went fine.

Bought a new 500GB PATA HD off Ebay, and it didn't like the Toppy. Had
been warned this could happen.

The workshop desktop PC - that doesn't get much use - was assembled by me
and has two IDE HDs of about the same age as the Toppy, and neither of
them even remotely full, so I decided to try one in it. Copied everything
on F onto C, and removed F.

Bet you're ahead of me. I'd actually removed C, plonked it in the Toppy
and formatted it...

BTDTGTTS

Actually was on a DTT training course just before I retired. I copied
the (generic) firmware from the /replacement/ unit into the good unit.

Glad it wasn't on a live system, which would have taken hours to correct, and
/much/ longer to explain away later.

At least you should have been able to restore (it wasn't much used) from
installation discs and the latest backups (you do *do* backups?)

--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply