Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,uk.tech.digital-tv
dave dave is offline

Default New televisions from China or Taiwan

On 25/07/2010 17:07, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 15:03:40 +0000, Bob Henson wrote:

You might be surprised to know that even central heating boilers

are
expected to only have a 5-7- year life now

I'm not that surprised. Mine has been running for 20 years, and I'm
resisting all attempts to persuade me to change it until it goes
altogether. On something as low-tech and yet as highly priced as a
boiler it's a disgrace that the expected life is so short.

Modern boilers are no longer low-tech as in BFO burner and lump of
cast iron through which water circulates possibly under nothing more
than the influence of gravity. Modern boilers have modulating
burners, several safety interlocks and their sensors, complex low
capacity ali heat exchangers that *must* have water flow for a while
after the burner cuts out, etc etc and recover heat from the flu
gases. Far to many bits to go wrong these days.

That's just the reason we opted for a standard boiler before the new
regs cam in.

Dave