Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_3_] RBM[_3_] is offline

Default Advice for converting Sears Craftsman 220V compressor plug to washing machine plug

wrote in message
On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 09:39:13 -0400, "RBM" wrote:

"Steve Barker" wrote in message
om...
On 7/25/2010 1:06 AM, Elmo wrote:
I just want advice for the conversion I just did before I plug it all
in.

Details:
1. I have a two-phase 220V Sears Craftsman compressor which uses a 220
volt
plug with one blade sideways (otherwise it looks like a normal 120V
grounded plug).

2. I have no sockets in the house which fit that 220 volt plug.

3. I have a three-pronged dryer socket in the garage with 220 volts
(two
hots and a neutral).

4. I just attached a new 3-pronged male dryer cord to a female 220 volt
plug with the one blade sideways.

Before I plug in the compressor to the recepticle to the dryer cord to
the
recepticle, would you have any concerns about safety or other?

I assumed the neutral in the compressor plug was the center wire (looks
like a ground pin) while I assumed the neutral on the 3-pronged dryer
cord
is the L-shaped center pin. Is that the correct assumption for the
shared
neutral?

I'm suspecting that out of all these replies, NONE are correct. What i
suspect is that you have a 20a plug on a 120V compressor and you just
don't have any 20a 120v outlets in your house. Better look a little
closer at everything before you feed that unit 240v.

--
Steve Barker

Very good point. Most of these small compressors run 120 or 240 volts, and
do require a 20 amp plug @120 volt. It is entirely probable that the OP is
looking at a 20 amp 120 volt plug and not a 20 amp 240 volt plug, which
are
very similar looking

If his copressor plug fits the 6-30R he bought, I strongly suspect
your suspicion is wrong.

When you're dealing with amateurs, there are many ifs. With the similarities
between nema 20 amp 120 and 240 devices, it's difficult to determine what he
bought, or thought he bought, however as the string progressed, it became
clear that he does indeed have a 240 volt machine. Had you followed the
progression, you may have noticed this as well.