Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_3_] RBM[_3_] is offline

Default Advice for converting Sears Craftsman 220V compressor plug to washing machine plug

"Gordon Shumway" wrote in message
On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 06:06:44 +0000 (UTC), Elmo
wrote:

I just want advice for the conversion I just did before I plug it all in.

Details:
1. I have a two-phase 220V Sears Craftsman compressor which uses a 220
volt
plug with one blade sideways (otherwise it looks like a normal 120V
grounded plug).

2. I have no sockets in the house which fit that 220 volt plug.

3. I have a three-pronged dryer socket in the garage with 220 volts (two
hots and a neutral).

4. I just attached a new 3-pronged male dryer cord to a female 220 volt
plug with the one blade sideways.

Before I plug in the compressor to the recepticle to the dryer cord to the
recepticle, would you have any concerns about safety or other?

I assumed the neutral in the compressor plug was the center wire (looks
like a ground pin) while I assumed the neutral on the 3-pronged dryer cord
is the L-shaped center pin. Is that the correct assumption for the shared
neutral?

The only thing I can say is what has already been said. If you have
to ask these questions you should not be doing this job. This is
something left for the professionals.

Consider what could happen to your family if you assume wrong...

The compressor won't work, and they'll run out of air?