Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Advice for converting Sears Craftsman 220V compressor plug to washing machine plug

On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 00:36:55 -0700 (PDT), Evan
wrote:

On Jul 25, 2:06Â*am, Elmo dcdraftwo...@Use-Author-Supplied-
Address.invalid wrote:
I just want advice for the conversion I just did before I plug it all in.

Details:
1. I have a two-phase 220V Sears Craftsman compressor which uses a 220 volt
plug with one blade sideways (otherwise it looks like a normal 120V
grounded plug).

2. I have no sockets in the house which fit that 220 volt plug.

3. I have a three-pronged dryer socket in the garage with 220 volts (two
hots and a neutral).

4. I just attached a new 3-pronged male dryer cord to a female 220 volt
plug with the one blade sideways.

Before I plug in the compressor to the recepticle to the dryer cord to the
recepticle, would you have any concerns about safety or other?

I assumed the neutral in the compressor plug was the center wire (looks
like a ground pin) while I assumed the neutral on the 3-pronged dryer cord
is the L-shaped center pin. Is that the correct assumption for the shared
neutral?

Ummm yeah... Why would you want to plug a 20 amp 240 volt appliance
which uses a NEMA 6-20 cord configuration into a 30 amp outlet made
for
a NEMA 10-30 cord configuration by means of using a cord adapter which
you have created yourself...

There is a reason why the outlets for vastly different amperage
ratings do
not fit into each other... SAFETY...

Why not have a correct 20 amp 240 volt NEMA 6-20 outlet installed in
your
home so you can use your compressor safely on a circuit which is not
capable of supplying more power than your appliance is rated for which
could damage it or cause an accident of some kind...

~~ Evan

Evan - sorry but your ignorance is showing. Virtually every item you
plug into a 15 or 20 amp 115 volt receptacle in your home is rated
MUCH below the 15 or 20 amps the receptacle is rated at, and the
breaker is designed for. It is NOT a safety issue. Your computer draws
something like 2 amps, the monitor 1/2 amp, a 100 watt light bult less
than an amp, your fancy little transistor table radio about 250
milliamps.

The "right" way to do it would be a "fused adapter" with a 30 amp plug
that fits the dryier receptacle, and a 20 amp receptacle to fit the
compressor plug, with a 20 amp fuse or breaker between the two. This
would protect the wiring to the compressor motor - which, in all
likelihood, already has a thermal shutdown protection device built
into it - making the fused adapter redundant anyways.