Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Solar Power

On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 00:54:54 -0500, Don Foreman
wrote the following:

On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 23:49:10 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
. ..
On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 17:36:15 -0700, Rich the Cynic
wrote the following:

On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 19:07:22 -0700, Stu Fields wrote:
"Phil Kangas" wrote in message
"Stu Fields" wrote in message
"Stu Fields" wrote in message
I forgot to mention in 6 days of operation, our new solar panel
system
claims to have saved: Are you ready?

300# of Co2

If Al Gore is reading this a text message of applause would be nice.

I made a mistake the thing this am says 500# of Co2 saved.

500 pounds of CO2 in six days? That's an incredible amount! I'm a bit
suspicious of that number. How can it be so high? Anyone care to
explain? I don't believe it........
phil

Now I don't blame you a bit. Just think if 1,000 people had the same
size system going, not hard to believe, that would be 500,000 # of Co2
saved in 6 days. That would mean 30M#/yr. Lets see...would that mean
the power plants could go back to burning diesel and coal?? Would we
have to artificially inject Co2 into the atmosphere for plant life? Yeah
500# in 6 days causes my eyebrow to raise, but that is what the display
says. Maybe its really grams...

You could save 1 KG of CO2 a day by not exhaling:

"The average person has a breath with the volue of 500ml (0.5l)

"A normal intake of breath is normal atmospheric composition, as such
contains 0.0360% CO2 or 0.18ml of CO2 intake. However we breathe out
about 5% CO2 or 25ml with an average of 13,000 breaths a day. Thats
325,000ml (325L )of CO2 Which means by the end of the day, a person on
average will exhale 1kg of CO2. Now add there are 6 billion people alive
we can say humans exhale 6 billion kg of CO2 a day.

"Compare that to the fact that as a rough estimate, the burning of one
litre of gasoline produces about 2.4 pounds (1.08kg) of CO2. A really
good
north American car will get 40mpg which is still only 18km to the litre,
which means for every 18 km that you drive, you will release 2.4 lbs
(1.08
kg) of CO2 or roughly what you breathe in a day. Source(s): Climate
Change
Research"
-- http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...3091421AA830QK

Just a thought.... ;-)

Rich, please now compare how many extra breaths that carload or
busload of people would expend hoofin' it from place to place for that
liter of gas. I'll bet the gas is more efficient in the long run, not
to mention getting people to work on time, getting all errands done in
the same day, etc.

Remember that CO2 exhaled by humans -- or any animal -- does not add to
atmospheric carbon. Part of it is CO2 you breathed in. The rest of it is
part of the short-term, closed carbon loop: the oxidation product of carbon
in plants and animals that you ate.

The carbon emitted from burning fossil fuels is a release to the atmosphere
of long-term sequestration of carbon in petroleum, gas, or coal.

I wonder if Algore told him to say that. I also doubt that he has
read about so many old wells coming back to life, producing again. Is
it really ancient oil or does it just look like it and it's being made
as we pump? (Though I haven't researched that much yet, either.)

This is different carbon?

While Ed's just being Ed (pointing out that I'm overestimating the
total carbon output while he has been naively suckered into believing
wildly overestimated effects of AGWK), yeah, they're different. Stored
carbon isn't into the active system and being cycled and recycled at
the moment, but folks counting this **** are into weird new math
practices of their own.

Think of it as the batteries in your flashlight now vs the unopened
plastic-wrapped box of batteries in your fridge.

--
It is pretty hard to tell what does bring happiness;
poverty and wealth have both failed.