Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers
michael adams[_5_] michael adams[_5_] is offline

Default New televisions from China or Taiwan

"mike" wrote in message
On Jul 25, 2:25 pm, "js.b1" wrote:

If you are used to CRT, no LCD is a perfect replacement

- Given that, until a few years ago, we were all used to CRT, how come
- so many have gone over to LCD and CRT are now impossible to buy new?

Flat panels are that much cheaper and more convenient to ship, warehouse and
display in the showroom. Certainly for the equivalent size screen, The same
may go for manufacturing costs. And so any "benefits" are pushed to the exclusion
of everything else.
Exactly the same applies with portable computers. 20 years ago anyone with any
knowledge of ergonomics would have explained that the relative position
of the keyboard and screen in laptops means that anyone using one for extended
periods could expect serious neck problems after about 10 years of use.
For executives travelling on planes or trains that was no problem.
But now they're the preferred choice of home computer for almost everyone.
Simply because they take up that much lesss space in a container, warehouse or
showroom. So they're promoted to the exclusion of almost everything else

- We still have a CRT. I hope it keeps going because all the LCDs I've
- seen have been pretty poor in comparison.

Indeed. The only incontestable benefit of all flat panels is however the much
smaller footprint. To fit an equivalent size of CRT to the larger flat panels
into many smaller modern rooms, would mean almost having the viewers knees
touching the screen. So its often more a case of never mind the quality feel
the width.

michael adams