Posted to uk.people.silversurfers,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
geoff geoff is offline

Default New televisions from China or Taiwan

In message , Bob Henson
writes

"David" wrote in message
:

"john hamilton" wrote in message
Have now given up on the idea of having our old crt television set
repaired, and am looking at the televisions listed in Argos etc, the sheer
choice seems a bit daunting.

One problem with built in tuners is that, as far as I am aware, most of
those sets don't have a hard drive and recording facility built in,
thus necessitating another box as well. Similarly, if the tuner
"breaks" for any reason, you need to buy the whole new TV.

Most come with tuners built in nowadays

Back to John's original question as to which brand of TV, I think the
same applies as to most things, you get what you pay for. I would
always go for the best brand that I could afford. I picked a Samsung,
but would have bought Panasonic or Sony (the latter somewhat
overpriced) if not. I paid a little more for mine by buying from John
Lewis, but got a five year guarantee for free, making it more or less
the same as the cheaper suppliers with a guarantee added. The satellite
PVR is a Humax Foxsat.

I think in these throwaway days, where greenwash is paid no more than
lipservice, very little is economically repairable, unless it is a
really trivial problem

You might be surprised to know that even central heating boilers are
expected to only have a 5-7- year life now

So much for conserving resources

Don't buy too big if you are watching it in a small room

An important consideration is what inputs it has. If, for example, you
have only a SCART output from a video and your TV doesn't you would be a
bit buggered

Panasonic are I think good TVs, I have a Sharp, and while the picture is
good, I find it slow and it's response to the remote clumsy.

--
geoff