Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers
geoff geoff is offline

Default New televisions from China or Taiwan

In message , Andrew Gabriel
writes
In article ,
"David" writes:

"john hamilton" wrote in message
Have now given up on the idea of having our old crt television set
repaired, and am looking at the televisions listed in Argos etc, the sheer
choice seems a bit daunting.

We thought we would go for a new 40 or 42" LCD flat screen. Sometime in
the future we would get a FreeSat digital box, so I guess that means we
would benefit from the 1080p resolution spec on the set to take advantage
of future high definition broadcasts.

Am I right in thinking that most of these sets, whatever the brand name
are probably manufactured in China or Taiwan? If so I guess its not worth
paying extra for a Japanese name?

Grateful for any advice on what you might think is a good buy of
reasonable quality around at the moment, bearing in mind I would prefer to
keep the price down if possible. Many thanks for any advice.

I have a Panasonic with Freesat HD built in, Panasonic always seem to be
"Best Buys" in reviews.
Personally would not buy a new TV without a Freesat HD or Freeview HD built
in.
I doubt my Panasonic was any much dearer than the equivalent non Freesat
model, but I did shop around and priced matched at Comet with the Richerr
Sounds price.

Check out Costco too, if you have a card, or are eligable for one.
A couple of friends ended up buying TVs on my card last year,
as they were over £100 cheaper than high street for a £500 TV,
and that included a 5 year guarantee. High street shops probably
won't price-match Costco.

Seconded, the TV I bought last year (or was it the year before, maybe I
should join the silversurfers ...) from Richer Sounds was cheaper and
had a longer warranty in Costco

--
geoff