Posted to uk.d-i-y
andrew andrew is offline

Default thinnest plasterboard or other plaster substrate?

On Jul 24, 9:57*pm, Fred wrote:
Hi,

I've been retrofitting celotex to a room. It's gone well except for
one slight problem: the window reveal (I put 25mm celotex inside the
reveal). I'm worried that even if I use 9.5mm, rather than 12.5mm,
plasterboard on top of the celotex that it might overlap too much of
the side of the window frame. I'm not sure how much of a problem this
will be: any overlap will only be cosmetic, it's not going to block
the window or prevent it opening or anything that drastic but will it
look "odd"?

What would you do? Use 9.5mm PB? If there is an overlap (i) it will
probably be hidden by blinds/curtains/whatever SWMBO puts there or
(ii) if we do see it, we may grow used to it.

Alternatively is there something thinner than 9.5mm PB? I don't expect
there is a plasterboard any thinner because it would be too fragile to
transport but can you plaster on top of say hardboard? Does it need
any treatment first (primer? undercoat?) or just PVA?

Or can you PVA celotex and plaster directly on to that?

TIA

6mm plasterboard does exist, although probably a special order so may
not be a solution. It's fibreglass reinforced I think, and designed
for boarding curves.

I would have used an insulated plasterboard - something like the Knauf
Thermal Laminate Plus at 27mm total thickness.

Alternatively, you could cover the insulation with metal lath, eg
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.js...h=lath&x=0&y=0
and then plaster. Not sure what thickness you'd end up with, but
probably less than plasterboard.