Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B[_10_] Steve B[_10_] is offline

Default OT phone solicitation

"Metspitzer" wrote in message
On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 18:15:58 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

The worst thing you can do is waste a telemarketer's time. If you can do
that by keeping them on the phone for a long time, they will eventually
take

I had a guy call me once to sell something. I told him point blank
and politely that I was not interested. He kept talking.....No thanks
I said......he kept talking.

I said look. You can keep talking if you want to. I have earned my
money for the day. Go ahead.

He ended the call.

I once was a steel erection contractor. I had a guy call every month that
must have been in prison, or just was persistent. He started the call with
things that a relative or long lost friend would bring up. He tried to sell
me cases of abrasive disks, like 1,000 that I would use a dozen of a month.

At first, it was entertaining. And he would catch me every time, thinking
it was an old friend who had found I was successful and famous.

Then I grew weary. I would tell this guy what he could do with his disks in
terms that would make a sailor puke, and the next month, he would still
call.

Then I just started hanging up on him.

That lasted about three months.

Steve