Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus8473 Ignoramus8473 is offline

Default A realization on "G code scripts"

On 2010-07-22, Jon Elson wrote:

The generally suggested method is to ramp down while performing the cut,
rather than plunging in Z and then moving in XY. I have already
converted my "treprect" program that plunged first, then cut around the
rectangular shape, then made a finish pass at full depth. The new
version, which I haven't gotten up on my web page yet ramps down on the
first side of each level.

That actually makes perfect sense. Thanks for bringing this up.

I've posted my treprectramp.c program, which generates G-code to ramp
down while milling along the interior outline of a rectangular cutout,
then makes a finish pass at full depth. See

http://pico-systems.com/treprectramp.c

Jon

Jon, I am writing a function (in perl), to do what you did, but
possibly in multiple passes for many pockets. I will reuse that idea.

After maybe half a year, I will provide it as a module on CPAN.

It would be essentially a library with building blocks for CAM. Could
be useful for someone willing to write a GUI for it or for some
websites.