Posted to alt.home.repair
Andy Andy is offline

Default another irrigation pump question

On Jul 24, 11:05 am, jamesgangnc wrote:
Thanks for the pointers on the last one. Much appreciated. I had no
idea there were suction limits. I have not talked to the corp yet but
I have heard via others that they do issue permits for personal
irrigation usage. And from the response to my last post I'm thinking
the only practical solution for me is a shallow well jet pump. The
pump can remain on my property and I can easily supply electrical
power. Running power to the lake is out of the question because o
fthe flood issues. The corp is very restrictive about that. I just
have to run water lines down to the jet foot in the lake. That's the
part I'm investigating now.

I'd like something cheap and easily taken up or moved if needed. I
see that normally some pretty large pipe is used for a home jet pump.
And it's not cheap. But I also only need to accomplish 30 psi at
about 2 gpm. I'm wondering if I can get away with 1 inch poly for the
main pipe and 1/2 inch poly for the jet supply? Any thoughts? Again
the lake is about 250' away with a 25 to 30' rise to the house.
Thanks to all :-)

Andy comments:
I live on a lake which allows residents to use lake water for
irrigation purposes. A permit costing $100 is required, and if any
electrical service is taken onto the lake easement, it must also
have a permit and be inspeccted.
For that reason, I located the pump above the lake easement,
which is about half way to the house and ran electric out to
the pump......
Typcally, my pump is about 5 feet above the lake level and
five feet below the house level. I use 1 inch PVC pipe as both input
and
output, and a foot valve at the lake end of the input pipe. The pump
is from Harbor Freight and costs around $33, and will pump about
5 gallons a minute. www.harborfreight.com

This works well for me. I just use water for the garden an for
the lawn and have laid out my irrigation so that the pump capacity
will supply one zone at a time, rather than the whole shebang
at once. Perhaps this idea will help you...

Andy in Eureka, Texas