Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
GeoLane at PTD dot NET GeoLane at PTD dot NET is offline

Default KO Lee Tool & Cutter Grinder question

My problem at the moment is getting something that will grab the 2"
dia. flange on each end of the spindle without slipping.

RWL

(pssst.... you didnt hear this from me..I repair machinery...but if you
take one wheel off..you can put a pipe wrench on the shaft and it will
hold pretty good while you struggle with the other nut)

Gunner

I don't know if you were pulling my leg or not. I tried a file on
them to see if they were hardened. If they were, a pipe wrench would
be safe, but they're soft, so I'm trying to hold them without marring
the spindle's flanges. The rosin "glue" didn't work to make the 2x4
"wrenches" tight enough.

Maybe the side with the adapter is loc-tited on. How hot do you have
to heat lock tite to loosen it? Can you do it with a heat gun or must
you use a torch? Do you have to turn it hot because the loc-tite
hardens again when it cools, or can you wait till the metal's cool
enough to handle?

RWL