Mike S.

Default OT - Take it out in trade

We still trade out here in southeast Mo. last summer I was needing a riding
mower and a guy I know was needing a computer. I tried out the mower and he
played around on the computer. We traded and still friends. Someone I work
with was building a garage, I helped him frame up all the walls, hang the
trusses and he supplied me with all the 2x4's and siding I needed for a 8x10
shed I was building. A few months back a woodworker that comes to the
dealership to buy parts for the company he works for was building his
daughter a cedar chest with 2 drawers in it. He asked me to dove tail them
for him. I dove tailed the drawers and he gave me a few pieces of walnut I
needed for a project. If we can't trade out some labor/items and help each
other out what have we become.

--
Mike S.

"JPLipe" wrote in message
Do people still trade labor any more?

It still happens. A couple of summers ago, the power company cleared off

the
right of way on our property. Left behind were a few cedar logs nearly a

foot
in diameter. SWMBO and I loaded them up and took them to a guy we get

lumber
from. He was a bandsaw mill, and provided the QS red oak for my Morris

chairs.
We dropped off the logs, he said he'd let us know when he got to them. I

was
gone on a job,and SWMBO called to tell me that she had traded the cutting

on
the logs for some of her home-made soap. So I've got a resonable pile of

rough
cut cedar boards for nothing more than our labor loading them and her

labor
making a couple bars of soap. There's probably a line to be had in there

about
one hand washing the other, but that would be a stretch.

John