Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default OT phone solicitation

On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 21:05:08 -0400, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

In article ,
Jim Yanik wrote:

I use my answering machine to screen all calls.If I don't recognize their
name or I know I have no business with them,I just delete the call.I'm
getting calls from American something-or-other about a debt,when I know I
have no debts. I Googled them,and they have a history of calling the wrong
numbers and endlessly using an robocaller to leave messages.And not
correcting their mistake when told about it. IOW,answering their call
just encourages them to call more. Right now,they seem to be listening and
just hanging up when they hear the message.

Isn't there some wav file or similar that you can put on your computer
that answers the phone with some kind of tone indicating the line is not
in service that the robocaller then thinks the number is dead and pulls
it out of the computer?

Good point. Some place used to sell that on late night tv, and it was
also on the web for free.

The tone is the one you hear when you get a recording that says
"OOOOOOeee. The number you have called is not in service." But you
only want to play the tone, not the words, which will confuse your
friends. I didn't know what the squealing was for until I heard
about this.