Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Phillipson[_3_] Don Phillipson[_3_] is offline

Default Wasp nest disappeared?

"Existential Angst" wrote in message

In the front hedges, a small round wasp nest (yellow jackets) started to
grow -- and grow, and grow....
. . .
Then, one day -- it was gone!!!
. . .
What do you think happened? Where might I find out more info on this?

First, identify the wasp species, then do some homework on its
typical behavior (when it nests, how it constructs nests, how long
they last etc.) Then apply your new knowledge to the environment
(urban or rural, climatic, etc.) to see whether your partial knowledge
matches textbook generalizations.

Identifying the species is worthwhile because yellow jackets are
aggressive but paper wasps are not. We usually have one paper
wasp nest on this rural property every year, anwhere from the
house dormers to hanging underneath the deck, and average
about one sting per year.

Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
(Ottawa, Canada)