Posted to alt.home.repair
h[_11_] h[_11_] is offline

Default OT phone solicitation

"dpb" wrote in message
Unless change your number, until every creditor of the previous has been

notified (and, more importantly, pays any attention to the notification)
they have the right to call the phone number on record for the debtor so
don't think there is much you can do about that.

It can be weirder than that. After we had lived here for about 15 years, I
started getting collections calls from one of the local hospitals. The
bizarre part, was that not only had I never heard of the person they wanted,
but they would call 5-6 times a day looking for different people. I didn't
bother calling back, I just deleted the messages. Then we started getting
calls from the same hospital, but they were appointment reminders, and
again, for different people we'd never heard of. After I came home and found
the entire message tape completely full with this stuff, I called the
hospital. Very long story short, after EIGHT MONTHS of back and forth with
these people, and threats of lawsuits, we finally connected with the guy who
programmed their auto-dialers. He checked the code, and if the system didn't
have a valid phone number, it had randomly decided to use ours!

Problem finally solved, but if anything like that happens again, I'll go
right to lawsuit mode. The attorney general's office had been unable to help
us, because since the hospital wasn't calling for us, they considered it
just a "wrong number".