Posted to alt.home.repair
Existential Angst Existential Angst is offline

Default Wasp nest disappeared?

Awl --

Really strange --

In the front hedges, a small round wasp nest (yellow jackets) started to
grow -- and grow, and grow....

What started out the size of an orange quickly grew to the size of a soccer
ball!!
The wife is nagging and nagging, and ahm sayin, Yo, just wait until the
first 32 F night, and I'll get rid of it.

But even I was wondering, Man, if it keeps growing at this rate, it'll be
the size of a dog house by fall!
And a busy nest this was!

Then, one day -- it was gone!!!

Now, it was being built IN the hedges, around/through all the branches, and
I figger if someone "stole" it, there would be evidence from cuts, etc.
But, nothing, just the missing nest!

What do you think happened? Where might I find out more info on this?

The little reading I did suggests that wasps are not without ecological
value, preying on other nuisance insects, etc, altho they can also be a pain
to bees.

--
EA