Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default shelf holders for a mantle

wrote:
Hi All,
I recently had a friend give me 2 large pieces of oak; one of them is
64" x 24' x 3", and the other is 64'" x 28" x 3". The request is for a
mantlepiece. The wood has some cracks in it, and it was a pain to
find a piece suitable. The mantle will be 8" wide. Even cutting wood
that big is a challenge, but I got it done. Originally, I was going to
use a French cleat to mount the mantle to the wall, but I'm concerned
about it hanging together. Therefore, I plan to use shelf brackets
made from the same wood - I'll cut it down to 2".

The question is this: What is the best direction for the grain to run
in the bracket? Up and down, or horizontally?

thanks in advance
shelly

I'll start w/ a question -- where did this come from and was it dry to
start? If it came from a recently felled tree owing to a storm, it'll
likely split very badly and warp exceedingly when brought into the house...

There's a pretty neat style done in a relatively recent Fine
Homebuilding issue I believe rather than FWW...

I've done similar; I generally make a corbel of some style suitable for
the general decor of the target. One technique I've use to hang
successfully that's really quite easy is to route in the rear a channel
for 1/8 or 3/16" x 1" strap iron and screw it to them and then use small
lag at the top to hang it from. These should find a stud or have
suitable mounting provided, of course. Then a small matching decorative
piece to cover the angle on the top.

More work but a flush top surface can be done by fitting a corner block
that is removable to get to the upper lag bolt. Proper grain selection
and fitting and it's almost invisible.

Another way is the bed hanger-style w/ the piece that would normally be
on the bedpost on the wall and the other in the hanger. Could do the
same simply making one's own hook/eye arrangement.

As for grain, I generally run it horizontal on these; they're big enough
there's no question of strength being an issue on the ones I do, anyway.