Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default This mosquito is good at hiding

On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 23:43:11 +0100, Spamlet wrote:

Malaria did used to be common in the UK

Was known as the Ague IIRC.

With so much air travel it is only a matter of time before malaria gets
back into our mossies.

Quite probably, but our climate is borderline for it. Might be a
problem down south but I'm not sure it (or the adult mozzies) can
over winter further north.

A friend who used to write some of the Rough Guides, had malaria, and
when it flared up, he had a job to convince the local hospital to
believe him:

Quite, this story is rather worrying:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10522909

The problem is it can stay low for such a long time after infection
with the parasite. All the same the repeated diagnosis of flu isn't
right, first time maybe but not second time even within a couple of
months flu just isn't that common. That should have raised a "hum,
there is something different here" flag and further questioning,
tests etc performed.

--
Cheers
Dave.