Posted to uk.d-i-y
NT[_2_] NT[_2_] is offline

Default Electrical socket replacement

On Jul 23, 7:42*pm, "John" wrote:
NT wrote:
On Jul 23, 2:39 pm, "John" wrote:
Phil L wrote:
John wrote:
We have a 13A double switched socket in a tiled location. I don't
know how old it is but it's an old-fashioned type with four fixing
screws, two at the top and two at the bottom, as opposed to the
modern ones of one at each side. The socket was physically damaged
when something hit it recently so needs to be replaced. Is there
any sort of adapter plate or something that will get us round the
problem of the fixing screws without having to replace the backbox
as well, or do I have to gingerly extracate the backbox from said
tiles?

TIA

I doubt you're going to find a socket face with 4 screw holes.
Why not just get a surface socket and backbox and affix it over the
hole, providing the existing cables have enough slack of course

Good idea Phil, may just do that if nothing better comes my way.
Thanks.

Another perhaps is to epoxy pieces of hardwood in each side of the
backbox and screw thin coarse thread scrwes into it. Generous pilot
hole essential on such small pieces.

Ah, now that sounds like a plan. Thanks. *:-)

acutally mite make more sense to use epoxy to make up the bulk, using
some sort of form to hold it as it sets. The challenge is to get
sufficient strength.

NT