Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grimly Curmudgeon Grimly Curmudgeon is offline

Default Electrical socket replacement

drugs began to take hold. I remember "John" saying
something like:

We have a 13A double switched socket in a tiled location. I don't know how
old it is but it's an old-fashioned type with four fixing screws, two at the
top and two at the bottom, as opposed to the modern ones of one at each
side. The socket was physically damaged when something hit it recently so
needs to be replaced. Is there any sort of adapter plate or something that
will get us round the problem of the fixing screws without having to replace
the backbox as well, or do I have to gingerly extracate the backbox from
said tiles?

You might be lucky and find the backbox has the end lugs anyway. Some of
the four-hole ones were actually six-hole.