Posted to uk.d-i-y
Invisible Man[_2_] Invisible Man[_2_] is offline

Default Electrical socket replacement

On 23/07/2010 12:42, John wrote:
We have a 13A double switched socket in a tiled location. I don't know how
old it is but it's an old-fashioned type with four fixing screws, two at the
top and two at the bottom, as opposed to the modern ones of one at each
side. The socket was physically damaged when something hit it recently so
needs to be replaced. Is there any sort of adapter plate or something that
will get us round the problem of the fixing screws without having to replace
the backbox as well, or do I have to gingerly extracate the backbox from
said tiles?

TIA

Had 2 of these in a room I recently did from top to bottom. Probably
date back to the 1960s.
I just mangled the back boxes so they would come out and put new ones
in. However I wasn't dealing with tiles.
If you contemplate replacement make sure the new backbox will fit in the
space between and behind the tiles or you are wasting your time.