Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Who installs shower grab bars and shower seats

On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 19:12:07 -0700, "Michael T"
wrote:

An elderly friend is in the hospital and has asked me to find someone (she
prefers a business over a handyman) who can come to her condo and give her
an estimate for installing a shower grab bar and a fold-down shower seat.

I'm not sure where to start ... for example, what kind of business does this
kind of work?

Location: Large city in San Diego County

Recommendations from the rehab department of the hospital she is in?
Or any rehab department, especially one that has some old patients?

Possibly a recommendation from a medical supply store that sells such
things.

A carpenter can certainly do the shower grab bar. (I made the holes
too small for the screws for my mother's, and after she died, I had a
heck of time getting the screws out before I returned the apartment.
FWIW that grab bar was just outside of the tub, in an non-tiled area.
I think she insisted on that because she didn't want me ruining the
tile. And no, while I suggested putting it in the tub and said it
could still be repaired, or even maybe left as an improvement, wrt
herself, my mother told me what to do, not the other way around.)

I'm not really acquainted with fold-down shower seats. A lot of
showers are big enough for a moveable, unattached shower seat. Is
there some chance that will slip and move while she's trying to sit
down?