Posted to sci.electronics.repair
GregS[_3_] GregS[_3_] is offline

Default Paralleled Amplifier Wiring

In article , "j r powell" wrote:
Hi,
I have a small stereo amplifier which came with two tiny 4ohm 3watt speakers.
I'd like to combine the two channels of the amp in order to drive one, slightly

larger, 8ohm 4watt speaker.
The amp is of the non-bridgeable type, so I assume parallel wiring would be
required - combining the two outputs together. I have read that small resistors

are required in parallel configuration, to enable proper current sharing
between
the amplifiers, as without them the two amps would fight each other and
overheat. Can anyone tell me the correct values for these resistors, and where
they should be placed?

thanks,
jamie.

You forgot to give the power.

From quick reading of posts, to get more sound you can put 2- 8 ohm
speakers in parallel which will give 6 db increase over one
8 ohm.

You can bridge, say put 1-2 ohm resistors in series
with the speaker and use a bridge transformer on the input.
If you gave the minimum ohm spec of the amp, I could be more specific.
You also did not specify the output
type if the amplifier. Are the channels allready bridged ?

greg